Week at a Glance:
|Monday 19||School Photo Day ECS Healthy snack day (nutrition program)|
|Tuesday 20||Lunch day (Taco Wrap)|
|Wednesday 21||ECS Lunch day (Chicken Noodle Soup)|
|Thursday 22||Lunch day (Beef and Noodles)|
|Friday 23||Bulletin Posted Healthy snack day (nutrition program) Mom's Pantry Pickup|
Photo Day - Monday, October 1, 2020
Lifetouch will be taking school photos on Monday, Oct. 19. Retakes will occur on November 4.
After Picture Day, order pictures on mylifetouch.ca using your Portrait ID and Access Code, which can be found on your Picture Day order form.
School Name/ Nom de l'école : Bruderheim Community School
Picture Day Date/ Date de la journée photo: Monday, October 19
Picture Day ID/ Code de la journée photo : QI190024YP
Mom's Pantry Pickup - Friday, Oct. 23, 2020
Thank you for supporting our playground fundraiser. Our school's order is expected to be delivered to the school on the morning of Friday, Oct. 23. The fundraising coordinator and the school are currently working together to manage the pick-up of orders. More information will be shared early next week. Please expect to pick up your order in the afternoon. We are working on a schedule for timed pickups. We will contact you with how to book/coordinate your order pickup.
Parent/Teacher Conferences - Oct 28/29, 2020.
Please book your virtual interview using this link.
Mrs. Barmentloo, ECS, will be booking conferences at a later date once she has the kindergarten ECS fall assessment (EYE-TA) complete.
Getting Ready for Halloween - October 30, 2020 1:30-3:00 p.m.
It's that spooky time of year when our little ghosts and goblins get ready to come to school! Here are a few ideas to keep in mind for our Halloween celebrations here at Bruderheim School to keep everyone safe and following the Alberta Health and Safety Guidelines:
- Students will be wearing masks - consider costumes that can incorporate those masks cleverly into the design!
- In order to maintain physical distancing guidelines, staff are not able to assist students with putting on make-up. We encourage you to send your child to school with face and hair ready to go! Students will change into costumes after lunch.
- As visitors are not able to join us in school and we need to avoid large gatherings, we are unable to host our traditional Halloween parade this year. We know that the parade is a fun experience and so we will be filming and taking pictures of the costumes in each class for a montage which we will post on the school website in the afternoon on October 31!
- We are unable to serve any shared food items - teachers are hard at work thinking of fun Halloween activities that can still make for a great time but that doesn't involve shared items or snacks! As per the EIPS Re-entry plan guidelines, "no snacks or treats to be sent into the classroom for special occasions."
Reading Tip of the Week - Phonemic Awareness
Did you know that in order to read, you need to learn skills in five areas? These are called the Five Pillars of Reading. Specifically, good readers have skills in:
- Phonemic Awareness - hearing, identifying and manipulating the sounds in spoken words.
- Phonics - connecting the sounds in spoken words to letters and letter patterns.
- Fluency - reading in a smooth and connected way.
- Vocabulary - knowing a variety of words about many topics so that when you sound it out you can recognize it!
- Comprehension - understanding the meaning of the text you are reading.
We will be sharing information with you about each pillar throughout the fall so that you can support your child in developing these skills at home.
Here is a great video by The Simple Teachers about how you can practice this skill. Try it out the next time you are on a long car ride or when you are waiting in line at the store!
School Fees: Available on Portal
School fee information for the 2020-21 school year is now posted on the PowerSchool Parent Portal. When you log on, you’ll notice the fee schedule is different from previous years. Instead of a fee based on the entire year, fees are charged on a quarterly basis.
The fee schedule change accommodates students switching from out-of-school learning to in-school learning; the four-semester system in place at some schools, and possible fee adjustments if the province decides to transition to Scenario 2—partial return to school—or Scenario 3—the suspension of in-school classes. Fees for kits or equipment kept by the student are charged in full at the start of the course.
Each quarter, you’ll receive an email notification letting you know fees are posted on the PowerSchool Parent Portal. To access your fee information, go to “Student Fees” on PowerSchool. There you can view your fees and pay online using Visa, MasterCard or INTERAC Online—when available from your financial institution. All fees are due within 14 days of being posted. NOTE: School Fees apply to in-school learners only.
If circumstances exist where you are unable to pay your fees, you can apply to have fees waived by submitting an Application for a Waiver of Fees. The deadline is Dec. 15, 2020—if new to EIPS, the deadline is the latter of Dec. 15, 2020, or 45 days after registration.
For more information about school fees, waivers and payment deadlines, visit eips.ca and Ardrossan Elementary Fees Website Information. Alternatively, contact our school business manager, Coleen Pearson at 780-922-2066 or via email at email@example.com.
Remember to Use the Covid-19 Screening Tool every day!
Thank you for all you are doing to keep our community safe during these tricky times. We appreciate how you send your children to school with clean masks and a great attitude!
As cases are on the rise in Alberta, we know it will be important to stay on top of our good choices and safe actions. Although we might be tempted to relax, it is essential that we continue to practice good hand hygiene, coughing etiquette, and proper mask-wearing.
We also appreciate your taking time each morning to assess your child before sending them to school. Remember to refer to this handy reference from Elk Island Public Schools called EIPS Stay at Home Guide for Parents.